Students at glasgows Strathclyde University have occupied part of the administration building at their university. They demand,amongst other things, that the university disinvest in companies that profit from Israeli aggression and occupation of Palestinian land and that the university funds scholarships for Palestinians who have had their universities destroyed in the horror of December/January.
This is an inspiring move from a student population who have been all too apathetic and self involved in recent years. The students all over the UK who have occupied their places of education deserve our support and our applause for taking a stand.
There will be a demonstration in solidarity with the students outside the occupied building at 11:00 am today.
The full statement from the students is below.
Students at the Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland have occupied the main administration building (McCance) in solidarity with the people of Gaza, and with other students who have taken similar action in Universities across Britain. The occupation followed a ‘march for Gaza’, and despite the ugly and heavy handed attempts by the University security to break up the march the students refused to leave the McCance building and have presented an agreed list of demands to the University authorities.
UPDATE: The University has called in the police. Please express your support by publiczing this widely. Also call the protesting students on: 0759 5626057
A movement has been sweeping across Britain in protest at the the Israeli state’s massacre and the complicity of our government and university. This demonstration builds on the victories across the U.K and beyond in opposing murder in Gaza and all those who support it. The demands which are presently being delivered to the University principal are:
1) Cancel the contract with Eden Springs (an Israeli water company that is the University’s main supplier).
2) Divestment from the arms manufacturer BAE systems and invesigate alternative sources of funding for the Engineering Department.
3) Issue a statement condemning the Israeli states recent massacre of Gaza.
4) Fund and facilitate 50 scholarships for Palestinian students at Strathclyde University.
5) Solidarity with the Islamic University of Gaza: write a letter of support; twin Strathclyde with the university, and aid in its rebuilding.
6) Condemn the BBC for not showing the DEC appeal; show the appeal in lecture theatres and organise a fundraising day on campus.
7) Oppose Israeli academics who promote military research at Strathclyde University